Explore eFXplus Derived Data That Drive Results
A Data Partner of:
May 24 - 11:55 AM

EUR/USD - COMMENT-Inflation Expectations May Make EUR/USD Downside More Difficult

By Christopher Romano  —  May 24 - 09:55 AM

EUR/USD turned positive Wednesday after striking a 2-month low as lower U.S. yields US2YT=RR helped drive dollar sales, and the recent down trend may now be in doubt due to inflation expectations.

Euro zone 5-year/5-year inflation linked swaps EUIL5YF5Y=RR have rallied since their March 20 nadir and now trade at the highest level since March 7.

Rising inflation expectations may indicate the ECB could lean more hawkish than expected.
A 25 bps hike is expected at the June 15 meeting but a 20% probability for a 50 bps hike is also being priced in by short-term rates markets.

Meanwhile U.S. inflation linked swaps USIL5YF5Y=RR have traded within the 2.40-2.70% range since November and show no indications a rally is coming.

CME's FedWatch tool indicates a near 65% probability the Fed will leave rates unchanged in June while only a 35% probability of a 25 hike is in place.

Minutes of the Fed's May 2-3 meeting may give additional color on Fed policy as discord on rates has emerged.

April and Q1 PCE risks loom later this week.
Downside surprises would tighten U.S.-German spreads US2DE2=RR and Fed and ECB paths diverge, potentially underpinning EUR/USD.

For more click on FXBUZ

Refinitiv IFR Research/Market Commentary


  • eFXplus
  • End-user license agreement (EULA)


  • About
  • Contact Us


  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
© 2023 eFXdata · All Rights Reserved